cardinal 55

Recommendations etc.

cardinal 55

Postby thommo » 11 Feb 2009 18:44

Anyone out there still using this classic or am I banished to the dinasour world?! :)
thommo

Re: cardinal 55

Postby Johny No Stars » 11 Feb 2009 20:22

No but I did have a 54 I used for many years but the bail arm snapped and couldn't get the spares. Cardinals really were the Rolls Royce of reels (or was that a Volvo?). Solid, dependable, excellent clutch and a bail arm that clunked every time without fail. Been using Shimano's since and although the line lay and vibration free rotation are superior, they don't have that X Factor than the old Abu's had. Modern Abu's are churned out in a Bangledesh sweat swop-nuff said!

Johny
Johny No Stars

Postby CabbagePatchKid » 15 Feb 2009 19:55

Totally agree that the original 55's were superb. I sold mine a long time ago when the Shimano Baitrunners became popular (I really rate these too), but where you don't need the baitrunner facility I'd be happy to use the Cardinals any time.
Actually, I'm using a newish pair of Cardinal 700 series - the ones with the Centre Drag, as fitted to the Suveran. I know they're built in the far-east, but I have to sat they are fantastic, quality reels, best drag system I've ever used and beautifully built - although they were expensive in the shops at the time. Anyone else use these?
CabbagePatchKid
Avon Barbel Moderators

Postby Thomas_Covenant » 05 Mar 2009 18:09

Johnny, give this guy a bell for your bail arm, if he does not have one then he will surely know someone who has......................... he has sorted me out in the past several times.

They truely are a reel worthy of any rod and the clutch....................ooohhhh, dont get me started :lol:

Anglers Workshop 01782 561515
Waiting for my next bite!

my blog
Thomas_Covenant

Postby soupdragon » 20 Mar 2009 18:42

got to say lucky owner of 3 of these beauties , still take some beating as a reel for river fishing still as reliable as when i got them years ago , and even then they were second hand . just something nice about using them , have just retired some 755s that i used for eel fishing been brillant for years ,they had a good quality feel about them . :)
soupdragon

Postby Thomas_Covenant » 20 Mar 2009 20:26

I used to love using my 54's, i even managed to track down a pair of metal spools for them to save the hassle of the 'exploding spool syndrome' that all the old cardinal spools suffer from. I do use my 55 for pike fishing, i normally toss a large dead bait out under a bung with it, somehow it seems right to use it in that way.

I dont seem to use them anymore, i am a centre pin freak at the moment, i did sell a pair of 55's at the begining of last season and as soon as i parted with them i regreted it :( .

You can find some very good examples of 54's and 55's on e-bay USA, you just have to watch the postage charges, they can be very expensive!

my blog
Thomas_Covenant

Postby CabbagePatchKid » 22 Mar 2009 14:59

Co-incidentally I've just picked-up a very scarce ABU Ambassadeur 55 - the very last incarnation of the Cardinal 55, I believe.
Its absolutely Mint - as new and, believe me, pure quality. I'll probably (carefully!) use this one now and again.

Yes, the 55 is still a great reel nearly 30 years on!

(Anybody else out there got an Ambassadeur 54/55/57?)

CabbagePatchKid
Avon Barbel Moderators

Postby CabbagePatchKid » 14 Apr 2009 12:51

Slightly wrong info above. I've learned the Ambassadeur - badged versions of the Cardinal 55 series were sold during 1980 only, in Canada and the USA. Consequently they're as rare as hens' teeth over here. Exactly the same as the Cardinals though, all but the badge
CabbagePatchKid
Avon Barbel Moderators

Postby Thomas_Covenant » 14 Nov 2009 18:18

Sold one to a friend not so long ago, as much as i loved owning one (i did have three a while ago but sold them on as well) i felt the reel needed to be used and i was not using it.

my blog
Thomas_Covenant

Return to Rigs, Tackle, Clothing...