Fluorocarbon

Recommendations etc.

Fluorocarbon

Postby Johny No Stars » 23 Feb 2009 14:37

Fluorocarbon seems to divide anglers like no other product. I’ve been using Riverge Reel Soft in 14lb for hooklinks for a couple of seasons and I highly rate it.

Technically Riverge isn’t a true Fluorocarbon, only coated but it does the job. It is virtually invisible underwater. Try a washing up bowl test, you can hardly see it. Although the river bed is a different proposition and braids and dacrons will merge, fluorocarbon doesn’t need to! Some true fluorocarbons like ESP Ghost are as thick and stiff as a bog brush, Riverge is more like a traditional mono. It has good anti-tangle properties (unlike some braids!). One thing some anglers dislike about fluorocarbon is that it can be brittle and prone to snapping and you hear tales of it being consigned to the bin. I’ve had no trouble with Riverge and when snagged up, I normally get the tackle back.

Being double the density of water, it also sinks like a stone. Some braids are so light that they don’t sink and the air that gets trapped between the fibres exaggerates the problem. If you do have trouble with braid, rub some heavy metal into it to aid sinking.

If I’m using pellets or boilies, I’ll normally whip on a braided hair to the hook to give it some movement.

What do other people use for hooklinks?

Johny
Johny No Stars

Re: Fluorocarbon

Postby Rob Harrison » 23 Feb 2009 20:35

Agree with you there (ESP Ghost)... I have some and use V occasionaly, more on the odd occasion I go carping - great for pop up rigs. I tend to use the SUFIX 12lb peeling the coating back nr the hook - Kamo seems to be good in the summer then the weighted in the winter...
...of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy.
Rob Harrison
Site Admin

Postby Gadgetman » 15 Aug 2009 13:54

Hi all

What are the best knots for tying on hooks, swivels etc. when using fluorocarbon line?

Cheers Pete
"When you leave the river, leave nothing, only footprints...!!!"
Gadgetman

Postby welshgaz » 19 Aug 2009 13:24

I forget which flouro I have but I think is Ghost, either way I use that in 10lb for hooklengths at the minute. As a beginner (to river fishing and barbel anyhow) I find the knotless knot the best for tying on hooks. Looks tidy and presents the hooks (with a pellet band) very well... It's also extremely easy to do !

- G
welshgaz

Postby Barbel123 » 20 Aug 2009 12:15

I too always use braided hooklengths & have found 12lb drennen sink braid to be very good & at £4 a go an absolute bargin. I always found that mono hooklengths seemed to get damaged very easily, but the braid will easily last a whole session, maybe 2 depending on the action.

Cheers

James
Barbel123

Return to Rigs, Tackle, Clothing...