New rod test curve

Recommendations etc.

New rod test curve

Postby Jedd Hughes » 11 Mar 2009 19:06

Hi all

I unfortunatly snapped by Korum twin tip 1.50lb test curve in half while recently on the Severn, went down to the shop in Bridgenorth and purchased a new Daiwa barbel twilight, the test curve is 2 and a 1/4 pounds which i was a little worried about. But then I used it and it felt great when I had a few fish. My mate Phil has the same rod with a 1.75lb test curve and the action between the two is very minimal the only difference is my rod is in 4 sections and his is the normal 2. I think the rod is just about right and will do me fine for both summer and winter sessions and for £100.00 I am not grumbling.

Anybody else got a view on test curves.

Regards

Jedd
It was this big
Jedd Hughes
Avon Barbel Moderators

Re: New rod test curve

Postby johngp » 11 Mar 2009 19:52

Hi Jed

Well mate i only use a 1.5 test curve and that is more than enougth poke for me ..I use it in the floods and i dont have any problems even when im on the Thames ..But 2.25 is very pokey and will be ideal for the lower severn and other Big Rivers but the bristol avon well it aint that quick mate nor that deep and you might find that you might get a few hook pulls as that to me is a carp rod as i have 2 carp rods and they have test curves of 2.25 and if i had to use for barbel well i dont think it would be the same as what i use now...

The most inportant thing is that you are happy with it if you are then job done but from reading your post i get the idear that your not sure ..The other thing is 4 sections well im not a great fan as i like two sections less chance of a snap..

well just my opinion but you got the rod now so enjoy it and if you aint happy theres always Ebay mate as its all over in a few days

Regards John
johngp

Postby Jedd Hughes » 11 Mar 2009 23:01

Hi John

Thanks for the reply, I will give it a good go and if it is a little stiff, I will keep it for flooded conditions and buy a lighter test curve for "normal conditions" The rod feels great and handled the recent fish fine. I know Kev uses 2.00lb test curve in all conditions that was half the reason I bought it.

I really liked the 1.50lb Korum but did feel it slightly soft on occassion when casting slightly larger leads. Nigel has offered me his harrison rod and I am very tempted will pop up and have a look at it this week.

Where are you tomorrow I am am out on my own having a mouch.

Cheers

Jedd
It was this big
Jedd Hughes
Avon Barbel Moderators

Postby johngp » 12 Mar 2009 18:55

Hi Jed well as you said it felt good with a fish on so thats good enougth mate if it feels right then job done ..
As for Nigels rod well ive seen it tryed it and i would defantly use again as great rod and when watching Nigel catch fish on it it did take barbel out know problem..
If i was looking to by a Rod i would certainly have a look at his as i know its like new and ive used it befor so in my eyes a good bye and when you see it im sure you will think the same ..

I hope this helps and enjoy the last few days ...
john

Ps im on the Wye tomorrow with Barry and saturday not sure yet as i think there maybe a few people a bout so im going to go to a private stretch of Avon so that will do for me
johngp

Postby Jedd Hughes » 14 Mar 2009 01:21

Hi John

I have bought Mitters rod, I popped up and had a look and you are right it is a beaut. I will keep the Twilight for flood or the bigger rivers but agree its much to pokey for the Avon in normal conditions, I should have spent more time in the shop checking other rods instead of rushing back to the river.

Regards

Jedd
It was this big
Jedd Hughes
Avon Barbel Moderators

Return to Rigs, Tackle, Clothing...