Any advice would be Grateful

Recommendations etc.

Any advice would be Grateful

Postby strawberryblond » 01 Nov 2009 15:07

Hi guys,please be gentle to a newbe. Heres a few questions if anyone would be good enough to answer,I`d be very grateful
1.Am just about to go out and try to tame my first barbel, now am slightly puzzled as to which swimfeeder to use, I intend to be doing the majority of my angling between Ross and Symonds Yat, what size and type would you use, I`ve got a John Wilson Barbel Rod 1 3/4tc and JW Young 2lb tc.
2. Flourocarbon or braided hooklengths (or, whatabout a combi rig of both)?
3. Pellet hookbait, or very spicy boilie, or both?
4. 1 rod or 2?
5. Braid or Mono and what breaking strain?
6. Rod tips up, so as much line out of the water as possible, or down?
7. Looking to use a combination of hemp, mini pellet, chopped boilie and meaty marine groundbait as feed, any other recommendations?
strawberryblond

Re: Any advice would be Grateful

Postby paulmatty » 01 Nov 2009 18:15

1) 2lb TC Youngs
2)Flouro 10lbs ESP Ghost
3)Pellet for starters
4)2 rods, feeder on upstream rod, straight lead on downstream
5)Mono 10lbs Berkely Big Game or similar
6)Depends on how much crap is coming down ! None :- Rods high-ish, if lots :- Either rods low, even tips under water ! OR if you can safely, clip on backlead.....
7)Feed sounds fine, but I just use either mini-pellets soaked or mixed pellets scalded, cheap, cheerful and effective !
Good luck !
Regards Paul M.
paulmatty

Re: Any advice would be Grateful

Postby strawberryblond » 01 Nov 2009 21:58

Thanks for the replies guys, hoping to be out on Wednesday, just hope the river isn`t too high, will let you know how I get on. One last thought, does anyone use any of the mesh type pva stocking for baiting up, if so, how do you use it, being a carp angler (for my sins), I use it in a variety of ways, be it using a stick mix (helps pevent tangles), as a stringer and tied to the lead ( :o ) and will use these as part of my armoury.

cheers...
Strawberryblond
strawberryblond

Return to Rigs, Tackle, Clothing...