Hello + questions!

Recommendations etc.

Hello + questions!

Postby Oxo » 07 Nov 2009 19:17

Hi All,

Just signed up to this great looking forum so I thought I'd say hello! Seems like some friendly types inhabit this corner of t'web!

Been a confirmed Carp angler since a schoolboy in the late 1970's, and more recently also a reservoir fly-angler ...but have never forgotten the two Barbel caught on holiday down on the Dorset Stour with my Dad when I was about 13. The fish were nothing to write home about size-wise but left a lasting impression on me. For some reason, although I've always meant to have a decent crack at them, I've never quite got round to it. Well, no good putting it off any longer - I picked up an Amalgamation ticket today, and I'm off down to Limpley Stoke tomorrow for the start of my Winter campaign!

I've begged and borrowed a bit of lighter gear for the time being, raided my carp gear for some terminal tackle, bait etc and made up a few flat leads, but in the longer term I intend to get myself setup properly as I become more proficient and in tune with Barbel fishing.

So, my question is really to you experienced guys, if you were to starting from scratch tomorrow with a "reasonable" budget for a complete outfit, what would your shopping list contain? I ask this so I don't end up wasting money on unreliable or over-hyped gear (something I've done on far too many occasions during my "Carping career"!) I'd be looking at a decent all-round Barbel rod & reel, net and all the paraphernalia that goes with it.

Hope you don't mind me asking such a general question, and I'm sure everyone will have different opinions on what makes a good setup - but at least it will give me some idea of what to go and have a look at and start a bit of discussion!

Anyway, it's off to the shed to finish the preparations for tomorrow. Wish me luck - I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers
Ox
Oxo

Re: Hello + questions!

Postby strawberryblond » 08 Nov 2009 09:01

Hi Oxo,
Am in almost the same situation myself, got very limited time to get out carping, tbh getting slightly disillusioned with the whole scene. I picked up a couple of nice rods, some small baitrunners and I`m away, using alot of my carp terminal tackle along with unhooking mat, just want the river to lower abit and I`m back out, trying for my first barbel. Good Luck
strawberryblond

Postby Oxo » 08 Nov 2009 19:26

Thanks for the replies!

Just got back from my first "proper" Barbel trip - what a blinkin' shambles! No definate bites that I could attribute to a Barbel, and even my 6 year old lad outfished me with a suicidal little chub :roll:

Still, learn't some important lessons:-

1. The level crossing gates at Limpley Stoke are very slippy in the rain. I'm now able to hit the high notes in "Walking In The Air"
2. Just because there's no angry looking Heffers in the field when you enter the field, doesnt mean they're not going to be standing behind you menacingly as you hastily depart....
3. I need a much, much longer landing net handle.
4. What I consider travelling light for Carping is nowhere near light enough for wandering up and down the river.
5. I need many more flat leads.
6. I need to fish somewhere with a few more Barbel in!

Ah well, onwards and upwards as they say!
Oxo

Postby mandingo » 08 Nov 2009 19:36

Ox,
Did I not tell you to go light? Proper light not carping light :lol:
Not like you, to be accident prone?? :o

mandingo x
Just one last cast!
mandingo

Postby paulmatty » 08 Nov 2009 20:35

Oxo,
Firstly, don't become too disillusioned after one session ! The Avon can be a hard task-master and getting to know it's moods, conditions and holding areas can take some time and effort ! When you do, the rewards can be there !
There is no doubt, that on The Avon, you are starting in a reasonable area. But, be aware, until you locate some fish, you will find the going hard !
Method-wise, just stick to the basics and lighten up you carp gear.
Rod-wise, I cannot fault Harrisons, but as a newbie maybe look at Wychwood, Fox and Korum rods for starters........
Without teaching you to suck eggs, running water is a different prospect and especially at this time of year ! If a swim looks good then the chances are it's already been fished hard in the obvious areas ! Try placing a bait elsewhere !
Travel as light as you can (my biggest downfall) and you stand a far higher chance of finding fish ! Give each swim 20-30 mins and work the stretch. Talk to other anglers and then do something different to the norm....
I tend to prefer mono 10lbs Berkeley Big Game, 10lbs ESP fluoro hooklength (long), free running lead. Cover as much of the 'metal-work' as you can !
Put the effort in and you will succeed !
Good luck in your quest !
If you fancy 'just catching one' give The Wye a bash in favouable conditions and you will be well and truly hooked !
Paul M.
paulmatty

Postby naselmike » 08 Nov 2009 20:39

hello oxo, and welcome to the forum!

i too came into barbel fishing via carping. used to enjoy roaming around the lake with a couple rods and minimal gear looking for fish, but soon got fed up of the amount of people bivvied up all doing the same thing, and what used to be enjoyable soon became very stale! (if any of that makes sense?!)
anyways, i think the best advice would be to just get out there and fish! you learn something new everytime your on the bank, be it what gear you need to take(or not take!), where the fish are(and are not!), the make up of the river bed in different areas etc etc...
naselmike

Postby Rob Harrison » 08 Nov 2009 21:16

paulmatty wrote:Oxo,
Firstly, don't become too disillusioned after one session ! The Avon can be a hard task-master and getting to know it's moods, conditions and holding areas can take some time and effort ! When you do, the rewards can be there !
Paul M.

Good shout that. The rewards can be there although this season for most of us BA anglers has been a tough one... fewer fish coming out this season compared to the past... for what reason?... Well every one has there opinions and thoughts, but probably down to more than one... But still a cracking river and when its good it can be V good. ;)

As far as rods go I reckon the Wychwood rogue is a cracker if your not looking to spend much...
...of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy.
Rob Harrison
Site Admin

Postby Oxo » 08 Nov 2009 23:27

Appreciated guys, some very good advice there which I'll take on board.
TBH, I'm more fired up than ever to catch a few this winter, and can't wait for next day on the river.
Good shout for the Wye though - not to far from Chez Ox, so I may take a few trips up that way if things get desperate ;)
Oxo

Postby Jedd Hughes » 13 Nov 2009 21:21

Hi

First of all welcome to the site Oxo :D

Like the chaps stated before the key is finding the barbel, Once you do I believe the Bristol Avon is one of the best and there are some fantasic fish. It has been very slow for the past few weeks for me and others but as mentioned earlier I believe that the recent rain will bring the fish on to feed.

As far as your kit I have the same set up as Manu1999. Which I believe is the best.

I look forward to yor comments on catch reports.

Good luck

Jedd (Jumbodog)
It was this big
Jedd Hughes
Avon Barbel Moderators

Return to Rigs, Tackle, Clothing...