Centre pin reel's

Recommendations etc.

Re: Centre pin reel's

Postby bgit » 08 May 2010 06:18

Hi Jedd,
Going a bit that way myself. Building a stepped up float rod as I intend having a bit more fun trotting. In the early days I used to trot new swims and waters as you learnt a lot from this and also got loads of enjoyment. If barbel showed I used to revisit with stronger tackle.
Nothing wrong with Okuma - have one myself - the Trent. Also have a JW Heritage which I got cheap and some more to come.
Yep,must arrange something.
Cheers
Bob
bgit

Postby Barbel Babs » 13 Jul 2010 20:20

Hi all,

I felt inspired and purchased the following winning the bid today (knowing nothing about pins, but wanting give it a go because it looks like great fun, adding another dimension to my fishing experience) got it for £50 including postage:

"Grice & Young, Avon Royal Supreme Centrepin Reel
This is a late version with the carbon backplate. The reel has been in regular use until the end of last season.
Comes with a removable line guard.
A real quality piece of kit. Smooth running with an adjustable drag on the back. Great for trotting as well as legering.
The reel is in great condition for its age, well looked after, spins well without wobble.
The footplate has been slightly ground down at the edges to fit modern rod fittings"

Now I am reading about them on web saw something about them not having ratchets and they are not good for legering. Is this really the case or will it do the job?

Yours hopefully

Tom
Laters aligators
Barbel Babs

Postby CabbagePatchKid » 13 Jul 2010 21:23

Barbel Babs wrote:Hi all,

........Now I am reading about them on web saw something about them not having ratchets and they are not good for legering. Is this really the case or will it do the job?

Yours hopefully...Tom

Good choice Tom, the Avon Royal Supreme. No worries on the suitability for Barbel either - it's fitted with one of the best checks around and a properly usable variable drag system . Good for Wallace casting too (not that I'm any good at that - I'm going to hold Martin (Ididcatchonce) to his offer of casting tuition one of these days ;))

As I've already said elsewhere on the Forum, I have a particular affection for these and did actually buy a couple new many years ago.

They were made in Christchurch, not far from the Hampshire Avon itself until around the late 1980's.

Best of luck with it mate and I hope it gets you loads of fish :D
CabbagePatchKid
Avon Barbel Moderators

Postby Barbel Babs » 13 Jul 2010 21:35

Thanks for your response, thats reassuring, I'm chuffed I made a good choice, looking forward to using it, that will make interesting viewing!

Thanks Tom
Laters aligators
Barbel Babs

Postby CabbagePatchKid » 13 Jul 2010 21:59

It seems to be standard practice to remove the line-guards for Wallace casting, as Martin says.

Just don't lose it though - it knocks a fair chunk off the selling price if you decide to sell it later without one!
CabbagePatchKid
Avon Barbel Moderators

Postby Oxo » 08 Sep 2010 18:14

Sorry for the slight thread hijack, but has anyone got a Fred Crouch Jet or used one in the past? Looking for my first CP and these look good VFM

http://www.stevepopebarbelfishing.co.uk/?page_id=15

You guys have a lot to answer for - looks like you have another potential 'Pin convert on your hands :roll: :lol:

Cheers

Ox
Oxo

Postby bgit » 08 Sep 2010 19:54

Posted this previously in the wrong place - apologies.
Have got a prototype KingPin to look at and although I'm no centrepin expert, I reckon this one could be a winner.

4.25", gunmetal colour, extremely smooth running.......

Cheers
Bob
bgit

Postby Jedd Hughes » 08 Sep 2010 20:23

Hi all,

I popped into Avon Angling today for a chat with Martine and she showed me the Ray Walton Mk2 reel, It was up for £299.00 and although very tempted looked on the net tonight and found it a lot cheaper.

I like the black one, the twist and cast is great, I thinks this may be an addition to the armoury but don't tell the misses

http://www.tidaltackle.co.uk/prods.asp?cID=3&sscID=59
Jedd
It was this big
Jedd Hughes
Avon Barbel Moderators

Postby Thomas_Covenant » 06 Oct 2010 13:55

Jedd,

I have used a Walton for a good few seasons now and once you get used to the wobble it is a brilliant pin to use, i have caught many good barbel while using it and use it all the time now.

It will not stand up to casting big weights an sort of distance, the swivel mech will flip round, but using as a pin to trot and cast small weights short distances it just the ticket.

That is a brilliant price.
Waiting for my next bite!

my blog
Thomas_Covenant

Postby Jedd Hughes » 06 Dec 2010 15:56

Hi

I popped down and visited Kingpin on Saturday and bought myself a new Regency 3 & 7/8 pin, :D

I really like the look and feel of the reel, Hopefully get a chance over Christmas to get out and use it.

Regards

Jedd

regency.jpg
It was this big
Jedd Hughes
Avon Barbel Moderators

PreviousNext

Return to Rigs, Tackle, Clothing...