Centre pin reel's

Recommendations etc.

Re: Centre pin reel's

Postby naselmike » 15 Jan 2010 03:21

i had one of them okuma's, great reel. i think you can get ceramic bearings for like 12 quid and they upgrade it to the kennet or sheffield spec?? i dunno, but managed to christen mine with a double so hope yours brings you the same luck!
naselmike

Postby Jedd Hughes » 15 Jan 2010 17:56

Hi Chaps

Yes its looks and feels great. My fishing buddy Phil (Duffman) has the Sheffield so it will be interesting to compare the two.

I will be practicing casting in the garden tomorrow the I will brave the weather (it should be milder) on Sunday and try and winkle out a fish or two.

Regards

Jedd
It was this big
Jedd Hughes
Avon Barbel Moderators

Postby barbel_chris » 23 Jan 2010 21:06

Hey all,

I have been doing a fair amount a research into pins the last week or so after being hit by the pin bug.. I am a normal reel kinda guy, and being new to the river fishing, i decided time for an angling change :P

Now, after looking into it and talking to a fishing buddy and plenty of guys in tackle shops, i have decided to take the hit and go straight in for the Aventa VT 1000 which i feel is the best choice and a good starting point ~ also being a true pin!!

I have taken to the garden and had a 'chuck' around but off out 2mwr for the first session.. Really want to get used to it for when the summer comes along...

So, my question is, do you guys think that this has been a wise choice for a starting pin? Did look at the pro, but it was a case that it was a little bit more than i wanted to spend for a starting real... plus (correct me if i am wrong here) i don't believe that it is a true pin?

Anyways, thanks to all that have unknowing helped me along my pin choice.. I look forward to playing that first fish on a new adventure!

Tight lines and clicking pins
barbel_chris

Postby CabbagePatchKid » 24 Jan 2010 04:01

Hi Barbel_Chris,
In my view all the Okuma reels are fine and great VFM. In fact, the standard of modern 'pins is generally excellent, although many are too pricey I think.

As for the "true pin" thing - I have several of both, and really think it doesn't make a lot of difference in practice. The good "pins" benefit from slightly lighter drums and therefore a bit less inertia to get them going - but only when worn-in and well-oiled. In practice, the ball-bearing reel is usually more free - running most of the time, without much in way of maintenance either. However some people do have a preference for one or the other.

Basically, if you buy a good reel, it'll do a good job.

Be careful you don't get the "Centre-pin bug", though or like some of us, you'll end up with loads of 'em, an empty Bank Account and a divorce :lol:

Did you get to try yours, Jedd?

Cheers, Nick
CabbagePatchKid
Avon Barbel Moderators

Postby Jedd Hughes » 24 Jan 2010 19:21

Hi Nick

Yes I tried it last Sunday but unfortunatly I did not manage to get out this weekend for a go.

I did not have any fish but managed to cast a reasonable distance after practicing the 'Wallis cast'; I just need to practice accuracy :lol: :lol:

I am thinking of visiting a local commercial water to use the pin and fish for small carp just to get used to a fish flying off and controlling the reel.

I visited Steve Popes website and he sells a lovely looking Fred Crouch pin for under £150.00 which looks lovely. I want that now :roll:

Regards

Jedd
It was this big
Jedd Hughes
Avon Barbel Moderators

Postby barbeldave » 24 Jan 2010 22:00

Hello nigel
How are you getting on with that arnold kingpin you had at christmas as its the same model as i have.
Born to fish forced to work.
barbeldave

Postby CabbagePatchKid » 24 Jan 2010 22:34

manu31999 wrote:..........If we don't catch we can always have a good laugh at who ever get's the biggest Bird's Nest on the day. ;)

Nigel (manu31999):

Let's have a really big prize for that - I've got it in the bag already :lol: :oops:
CabbagePatchKid
Avon Barbel Moderators

Postby CabbagePatchKid » 04 Mar 2010 01:35

Anybody use the old Grice and Young Avon Royal Supreme reel?

I've got a soft spot for these. I bought one from Veals when they were in Tower Hill in Bristol in the late 1960's (took all my birthday money to buy it). Had it nicked along with all my tackle from the boot of my car several years later.

They were made by the Christchurch company from the early 1950's to the late 1980's, when they sadly folded and sold some of the tooling to Shakespeare who still market reels based on the G&Y models.

I've picked up a few more over the years and although not made to the same standard as Aerials or Rapidexes, they are rugged, dependable and a really nice reel to use. They also have the bonus of being fitted with both an excellent check and adjustable drag that really works.

Mint ones are fetching a lot of money nowadays (over £100 in some cases), but a good user reel can be picked up sometimes quite cheaply - I was lucky enough to get one in really nice condition off Ebay recently for just £35. Perhaps I'll give this one an airing in the summer (make sure there's no-one I know in the vicinity first before making a right cock-up of casting :lol: )

But seriously, its a decent choice as a cheap way to give the 'pin a go - and you'll always get your money back if you don't get on with it!

CabbagePatchKid
Avon Barbel Moderators

Postby bgit » 07 May 2010 18:50

I'm afraid that I too have been gripped by the centrepin obsession. I'm used to getting birds nests from my days of surfcasting on the mighty Chesil Beach (besides several other venues) on winter nights with a multiplier, so maybe I can be prepared for the shape of things to come ith a pin. Many years ago, I used a multiplier to catch a barbel on the BA - silly thing to do but maybe I was a bit more daft in those days.
Cheers
Bob
bgit

Postby Jedd Hughes » 07 May 2010 20:33

Hi Bob,

I have a new Okuma, and it seems great for the job, but saying that, I have not actually had a barbel yet on the reel :lol: I tried on a local commercial fishery for a 4LB plus carp just to see what happens when one tears off but alas all my fish went on the other rod.

Looking forward to the coming season, Going old school , caster, hemp maggots, worms ;) only my fifth barbel season but I feel pellets are great but far too many go in, and alot of the time the fish are simply not hungry in my opinin.

I have joined Chistchruch and will join the Amalamation tomorrow.

We ;) must have a day togther

Best regards

Jedd
It was this big
Jedd Hughes
Avon Barbel Moderators

PreviousNext

Return to Rigs, Tackle, Clothing...