Centre pin reel's

Recommendations etc.

Centre pin reel's

Postby Barbel123 » 20 Dec 2009 21:06

How Spooky! I used a centrepin for the first time today & was going to post about it. Don't know what make it is, but it looks quite old & not as smooth as it should be :lol: . I was trotting a stick float with maggots & ended up with a few Roach, but boy does my wrist ache now :lol: . It felt nice & traditional fishing with an old pin & I didn't have any tangles so I will definitly have another go over Christmas. I have got a bigger one which I am going to use for Barbel fishing at some point. It must be incredible playing a good fish on a pin, maybe I'll find out one day.

Cheers

James
Barbel123

Re: Centre pin reel's

Postby naselmike » 20 Dec 2009 23:06

recently got myself a speedia, and have to say i MUCH prefer it (being a true pin) over my old bearing aventa pro. so much lighter and more enjoyable to use...
naselmike

Postby jackfoxy » 20 Dec 2009 23:11

I have a Ray Walton MkII Rolling Pin which some don't think is a real centrepin ;)

I wouldn't use it for trotting but it is great for rolling meat (obviously) and other general Barbelling. I've used in on the Lower Severn casting 1/3 to 1/2 way over with 3oz lead for an 11lber.

Bit pricey though...

Think the Okumas are good pins though...
jackfoxy

Postby BART » 24 Dec 2009 20:34

did you get a big christmas bonus then. very good pin my man i have looked at them myself! used to have jw young purist II ace pin that was till it went missing!!!!!!!!!!!!
maybe next time............
BART

Postby CabbagePatchKid » 24 Dec 2009 23:45

Hi Nige,
I think the Arnold's was just about the only one we didn't mention today! I had one a while ago and it is a very good reel at a realistic price too (cracking looking reel). Similar to the later Dave Swallow centre pins, I think you made a good choice mate. Good to speak earlier and look forward to seeing it in action on the bank!
Cheers, Nick
CabbagePatchKid
Avon Barbel Moderators

Postby Jedd Hughes » 08 Jan 2010 20:24

Hi

I saw Nigels centre pinn yesterday and I really is a lovely bit of kit. If I can get out tomorrow I am going to have a look at a few, late Christmas present me thinks!!

Jedd
It was this big
Jedd Hughes
Avon Barbel Moderators

Postby CabbagePatchKid » 08 Jan 2010 21:13

Hi Jedd,

Lucky you! It's always one of life's pleasures to go out to buy a new rod, reel, etc. But for some reason I've always felt there's something that bit special about choosing a centre-pin. Perhaps its the fact that to most of us, fixed spool reels are items of necessity, whereas getting a new 'pin is a bit of an indulgence - a special treat?
Look forward to seeing which one you pick mate. :D
Cheers, Nick
CabbagePatchKid
Avon Barbel Moderators

Postby Jedd Hughes » 08 Jan 2010 21:19

Hi

I will let you know which one I get, After watching Steve Popes whizzing off on the Barbel days and ways DVD's it just looked right for some reason.

Regards

Jedd
It was this big
Jedd Hughes
Avon Barbel Moderators

Postby Jedd Hughes » 14 Jan 2010 22:55

I popped down to Avon Angling in Ringwood today and picked up a pin. I went for the Okuma Aventa VT1002. Mid range reel and looks great, Cannot wait to try it out

Jedd
It was this big
Jedd Hughes
Avon Barbel Moderators

Postby CabbagePatchKid » 15 Jan 2010 00:58

Hi Jedd,
In my opinion all the Okuma range are really nice reels and the prices are a bonus. In all honesty the Aventa is the best value of the lot, as the Sheffield and particularly the Kennet go for quite a lot more money.
A cracking choice mate - hope you get a double first cast!
Regards,Nick
CabbagePatchKid
Avon Barbel Moderators

Next

Return to Rigs, Tackle, Clothing...