Antique Fishing Tackle

Recommendations etc.

Antique Fishing Tackle

Postby CabbagePatchKid » 01 May 2010 18:48

Any members interested in or collect vintage tackle?
CabbagePatchKid
Avon Barbel Moderators

Re: Antique Fishing Tackle

Postby Gadgetman » 03 May 2010 11:21

Hi Nick

Yes, I like to browse the boot sales and ebay for vintage tackle, although an expensive wife (bless her) precludes me from buying most of what I see and find.

I think in my case, it's more of a nostalgia thing..............I remember how keen and excited I was when I first started at the age of 13.......My parents furnished me with an Efgeeco spanish reed float rod with a split cane top and a strikeright centre pin on my birthday. A landing net and keepnet soon followed, the mesh of which you could exfoliate your feet with and remove most of the poor unfortunate fishes scales as well.

I made my own carp rods from North Weston SS5A blanks and furnished them with a pair of ABU 55 reels.
I have since owned various bits of vintage tackle, including various Abu closed face reels, Mitchell 300 half bail and full bail, Mitchell 300A, Mitchell 410, a Trudex pin, Vintage Intrepid fly reels and a Hardy fly rod...........All now sadly sold to fund my barbel fishing and the carbon revolution.

Now the boot sale season is in full swing, I will be out early every Sunday in the hope of coming across the elusive Coxon Aerial.

Regards Pete
"When you leave the river, leave nothing, only footprints...!!!"
Gadgetman

Postby RICH PARSONS » 08 May 2010 21:27

Hi all,
I have been having a poke about on ebay and have seen some nice kit that i like.
Not so much antique more the stuff I wanted as a kid.
There are two Daiwa TD3500DM's and a Daiwa RG 1355 Harrier Autocast on there, all stuff I used to ogle in my local bait shop and would have my dad tell me never to touch unless I could buy.
I have put a bid in for one of the TD's but have been out bid my biggest problem is I don't know how much this short of thing is worth.
I have also looked at a couple of pins but I'm not sure how well I'd get on with using one.

Rich
Ya know what I mean?
RICH PARSONS

Postby CabbagePatchKid » 10 May 2010 21:05

Hi Rich,
Regarding used fishing tackle valuation - basically all the best tackle (Hardys, Farlow, Malloch,etc) will always fetch loads of money and the older it gets, the more it's worth.

The collectable tackle by the by the better companies (Allcocks, Youngs, Milwards, etc) prior to the 1970's is also getting expensive, but will be a good investment if in good condition.

1970's / 1980's reels by Daiwa, Shakespeare etc are not generally of great value, although the classics by Abu can be worth a lot of money.

Generally, the reels which were expensive new will continue to hold their value and increase as time goes on.

Be aware that unless very rare, anything in less than excellent condition will have limited value.

My advice regarding the purchase of reels from the 1970's, 1980's and 1990's from Japanese manufacturers is to bid what its worth to you and forget about re-sale values. If you want a reel for nostalgic reasons, then buy it if you think its worth the money and it makes you happy, and don't forget that if you win the item someone else also thinks its worth just one bid less!

Nick
CabbagePatchKid
Avon Barbel Moderators

Postby RICH PARSONS » 11 May 2010 06:28

Hi Nick,
Thanks for the advice, despite wanting to use pin for the moment I'm going to steer clear of the. Basicly because I haven't got a clue what I'm looking at/for.
I have got my eye on a couple of reels from around the 90's so were I can I'm having a quick google about to see if I can find any info on line.
Also I have found that some of the new stuff is going above the rrp of the reel then with the P&p.
A new way of find tackle but not always the cheapest or easiest.

Rich
Ya know what I mean?
RICH PARSONS

Postby Oxo » 23 May 2010 12:49

Found an old JW Young Ambidex No1 fixed spool reel (1950's?) at the Wotton car-boot yesterday, for a fiver. Spent an enjoyable couple of hours in the shed this morning stripping and greasing it back up.

Alway's wanted on of these - all I need now is a Split Cane Mk IV Carp rod to display it on.
Oxo

Return to Rigs, Tackle, Clothing...