Hooklength Materials.

Recommendations etc.

Hooklength Materials.

Postby Searcher » 07 Feb 2009 08:36

What is your favourite go anywhere hook length material ? I'm expecting everyone who posts to have a totally different favourite here !

Personally, I'm a big fan of ordinary nylons, my fave for the last couple of years being Gold Label's Pro-Clear. It's very supple, tough and knots well, I've got a lot of confidence in it.

I also use ESP's Ghost fluorocarbon in 12lb BS for the more rocky swims on the Wye. It's tough as old boots and puts up with a lot of chaffing during battles in rocky swims.

What's your favourite ?
Searcher

Re: Hooklength Materials.

Postby Mooks » 07 Feb 2009 14:26

Well l have been teasting Jellywire braid from Leslies this year in 15lb ..and find it rather good !!
Stealthskin was a fave last few seasons but my old tackle shop where l used to live never sold it...think online is the best bet..

Mooks

Postby Rockie99 » 07 Feb 2009 21:47

I've been using Bass Pro XPS Flouro for the last 5 months or so.

A bl**dy fantastic flouro and tough as old boots too!

Not lost a fish on it yet and do my share of fishing snaggy swims - Certainly a favourite of mine.
Rockie99

Postby PJ Martin » 08 Feb 2009 03:10

My personal fave is to tie a combi rig. I tie a knotless knot and hair using drennan carp silk and then splice this to a fluorcarbon hooklink of around 10" using an albright knot. I keep the length of my braid to a minimum so I basically have a hooklink of around 10" of fluoro followed by about an inch of soft supple braid just above the hook eye. i like this rig as the stiff flourocarbon helps prevent any tangles and is fairly invisible in the water. I don't like having stiff line at the hook as I want the hooklink to be soft and supple here to try and help gain a better hook hold.

Obviously you can tie the same rig using a coated braid and by stripping back the last inch above the hook eye but personally think that the fluoro option is better at concealing itself on the bottom than the likes of stripteaze, camoskin etc.
PJ Martin

Postby Searcher » 08 Feb 2009 08:03

Rocky, where do you get your Bass Pro XPS fluoro from, mate ?
Searcher

Postby Rockie99 » 08 Feb 2009 11:30

Searcher,

Hi, I order my BassPro off the official site in the states but get it delivered to some colleagues who live over there, but fly over here every couple of months or so.

That way = No customs tax :)
Rockie99

Postby silure130 » 08 Feb 2009 16:47

hi
last year I used Berkley Vanish and can honestly say I had no problems. This year I am using the Bass Pro XPS. My brother goes to Florida quite often and he says they swear by it over there. He brought me a spool back, I've yet to try it in the water but I have made up a few rigs at home with no problems.
silure130

Postby Mole » 08 Feb 2009 18:05

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/store ... rchResults

Why doesn't someone buy in bulk and sell it on e-bay?
Mole

Return to Rigs, Tackle, Clothing...