Hooklink Materials - recomendations?

Recommendations etc.

Hooklink Materials - recomendations?

Postby Oxo » 23 Aug 2010 14:44

Hi chaps,

Can I pick yer brains please? Fishing up on the Wye at the moment and suffered from a few break-offs on the hooklink. Most of my fishing is on the feeder to pretty wary fish necessatating longish hooklenths. I've been using an 11lb nylon leader that I use for making up tapered fly-leaders which is nice and fine, but I'm concerned about it's abrasion resistance. I'm not happy about using a leader in a heavier b.s than my mainline, 12lb Big Game clear, due to snags (I'd rather have the hooklink part than potentially leave a long length of line and a dirty great cage feeder out there).

So really, what I'm after is a supple but very abrasion resistant nylon, in 10-11lb bs in a nice dull colour...hmm, I think I may be asking too much :)
Oxo

Re: Hooklink Materials - recomendations?

Postby Mooks » 23 Aug 2010 18:14

:)

I use < when l go out that is > is 15lb jellywire from Leslies of luton its coated like Nigels seems good stuff supple but tough as ol boots..
Mooks

Postby Oxo » 23 Aug 2010 19:06

Cheers fellas,

I've been using a similar coated hooklengths (Kryston Mantis, Snakeskin etc) on and off for years for Carping, but somehow can't seem to get my head around how unsubtle it looks and feels with a smallish hook and pellet. Might have to have a re-think on that then, seeing as you boys are much more experienced in these matters than myself!! So can I assume correctly that you feel I'm being a bit paranoid about not having the hooklink in a lower bs than the mainline when fishing in snaggy areas?

Ox
Oxo

Postby mandingo » 23 Aug 2010 22:37

Ox,
Abrasion resistant and lighter than your 12lb Big Game main line??
Have you considered 10lb Big Game :lol: :lol: :lol: ...Unless you got some 11lb Sylcast left from the 'Old' days :oops:

Seriously tho' I've been using the new (ish) ESP Two Tone, and really rate it :D
I'll let you have a look if you ever get the kettle on?
M x
Just one last cast!
mandingo

Postby Oxo » 23 Aug 2010 22:50

:lol: I knew someone would come up with that suggestion! I've considered it myself tbh, but was wondering if theres any purpose made stuff available before I started experimenting.

Think I'll kit myself out with some of that there Suffix, but wouldn't mind a look at that ESP Two Tone after you've landed a couple on it, or before next season if at all possible....talking of which, you missed a cracker yesterday, 25 Barbel! "Unfortunatly" only 5 were to me. Still the Chub got some nice grub in my swim :roll:
Ox
Oxo

Return to Rigs, Tackle, Clothing...