Good barbel rod?

Recommendations etc.

Good barbel rod?

Postby Johny No Stars » 09 Feb 2009 19:59

I was thinking of buying a new barbel rod because my Fox 1.75lb twin top wasn’t up to it. I bought some 3oz beach casting leads whilst on holiday in Weymouth last year to use in floods and the rods couldn’t hardly even cast it out!

Has anyone got any suggestions for a good rod?

Thanks

Johny

Post edited by avonbarbel team.
Johny you have PM
Johny No Stars

Re: Good barbel rod?

Postby Rockie99 » 09 Feb 2009 20:23

For a cheapish rod take a look at the Korum Neoteric Twin Tip rod - A cracking rod for the money and not heard a bad word against them.

I've had both the Twin Tip and the Quiver and was well happy with both.
Rockie99

Postby PhilM » 09 Feb 2009 21:03

Depending on your budget really..
the new wychwoods rogues are excellent value and have a lovely action, not at all like a poker but with a good bit of grunt......... as it happens :D ..
i have a brand new 2lb test curve one for sale, cost me £60 from premier angling in chippenham, cut the tags off and the wrapping on the handle and it's been upstairs ever since.. yours for £40 if you want it...
PhilM

Postby richp » 09 Feb 2009 21:22

Johny - I'm surprised your Fox won't throw out 3oz. My Hyperloop XT 1.75lb tip can cast at least 4. Having said that I wouldn't recommend it as it's a bit soft in a strong flow (plenty of backbone for playing fish though). My other rod's a Normark Nirvana Light Carp/Big Barbel with a 2 tops (1.5lb/2lb) and I reckon it's a great rod, though there's no cork handle.

Good luck whatever you choose.
Cheers, Rich
richp

Postby Barbel123 » 09 Feb 2009 21:44

I got the new Korum 3G 11" 1.75lb just after Christmas. Havn't used it that much, but seems to be a very powerfull rod, handle 3oz plus easily. Worried The Tip may be a bit too stiff for running rigs & lighter leads in the summer, but fine for semifixed rigs in winter flow & at 11" good for those tighter swims. They also do a 12" 2lb version.

Cheers

James
Barbel123

Postby oldwhiskers » 13 Feb 2009 23:36

Do you want to sell the Fox twin top?
oldwhiskers

Postby Rob Harrison » 13 Feb 2009 23:41

was close to picking up a korum 2lb barbel rod today but resisted (for the floods) a bargain at £70 though...
...of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy.
Rob Harrison
Site Admin

Postby PJ Martin » 14 Feb 2009 08:22

I'd personally go for the Drennan Barbel rod with the 2lb tip. I think they are around £129 RRP.
As I'm sure you'll all be aware, Drennan don't make a bad rod, well certainly not in my opinion anyway.
PJ Martin

Postby John Austin » 25 Feb 2009 14:37

I have only just joined this site & you all seem a friendly lot from what i have read from the posts, so here goes with my first post.
I've got a Fox Duolite Barbel Extra, all my river fishing is done on the Wye either on Bigsweir or Symonds Yat, with the avon tip on i can cast to the far bank with 4oz on with no trouble at all. I fish regulary with my brother & he uses a Greys Prodigy which i think is very similar to my Fox he has no trouble casting the bigger weights either, i think a lot of it is having confidence in your rod.

Hope this helps.

Regards John.
John Austin

Postby Thomas_Covenant » 25 Feb 2009 20:28

I use a Freespirit Barbel Tamer for most fo my fishing, they retail at about £100, it comes with two tips. One tip is approx 1.5lbs TC and the other is a push in quiver (mine has a 3oz quiver), these can be changed, the last time i looked they where about £15.00 each.

When the rivers are up or i want to chuck big feeders around i use a pair of Freespirit Barbel Seekers (approx £210.00 each), they are big rods and of the highest quality.

There are so many very good rods on the market, i tend to steer clear of the Fox rods, i feel the build quality is poor (personal opinion). You may want to check out the Grey's Prodigys, i have a friend who uses them and they are fantastic rod for the price you pay aprrox £80.00.

Drennan rods are very good value as are TFG and Diawa. I would personnaly go to a large tackle shop, have a good "waggle" of as many rods you can then make your choice. For every rod built there will be those who love them and there will be those who hate them.

Great that we have so much choice and my post will have been of very littel help too you :) :)
Waiting for my next bite!

my blog
Thomas_Covenant

Next

Return to Rigs, Tackle, Clothing...