Bait for the new season

Which boilie, pellet or meat would you recommend to others?

Bait for the new season

Postby Jedd Hughes » 25 Mar 2009 23:55

Hi all

I am the first to admit that I am a bait junky, the next new wonder bait is released and I have got to get it :D . But I have made a decision that during the coming season I am going to stick to a maximum of just one or two hook baits for the summer and the same for the winter instead of constantly swaping and changing.

I think large Elipse with smaller in either a feeder or PVA in the summer months and one specific boilie and paste with maybe a few offerings in PVA bag during the winter.

What do you guys do and would you recommend sticking to a proven bait or keeping your options open?

Cheers

Jedd
It was this big
Jedd Hughes
Avon Barbel Moderators

Re: Bait for the new season

Postby Rob Harrison » 26 Mar 2009 23:48

I will go with that mate! I tend to stick to pellets until Sept/Nov then move over in the colder temps to boilies... although saying that this season struggled with boilies over the autumn/winter and only caught on meat or pellets (with strong paste wrapped around)... But then it seems most have struggled also... (thats what I am telling myself anyway!!)
...of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy.
Rob Harrison
Site Admin

Postby Jedd Hughes » 27 Mar 2009 10:27

Thanks Chaps

Jedd
It was this big
Jedd Hughes
Avon Barbel Moderators

Postby Thomas_Covenant » 28 Mar 2009 18:47

I have tried so many baits over the past three or four seasons it would blow your minds but i always end up back using three very good tried and tested baits................ they may not be the greatest baits in most peoples books but i have confidence in them and that is key.

If you have a good bait and it sounds like you do then why change, there are very few baits out there that can catch every cast!
Waiting for my next bite!

my blog
Thomas_Covenant

Postby bgit » 30 Mar 2009 20:52

Having tested baits for a few companies, was one of the people that tried prebaiting and using boilies in the 80's (during the Geoff Kemp and Hutchie early days) at Avoncliffe and LS, then my advice is find a good bait that works for you, apply it well and stick with it.
I have two freezers loaded with ingredients but still reckon that a safe way to go is to use something you have confidence in, keep additives and flavours to a low level. If you feel it's losing it's effectiveness then tweak it but think long and hard about it.
I prefer to use natural ingredients and extracts (examples GLM, Liver powders etc) to tweak baits. Keep your solubles up for the winter, half your oil content and use an oil that stays liquid - you can put some in a fridge to test it. Also add something to 'open the bait out' or texture it to aid leakage.
For flavours add it at half the recommended dose maximum for most available flavours.
There are some instant baits out there Source, Trigga, Blitz and some others which as a single hook bait work most times from the off, providing the fish are there!
I caught barbel and chub on trout pellets many years before the pellet revolution and also on pastes made from fish pond food.
Remember that cheap ingredients can be just as effective as expensive ones as the fish don't know how much they cost!
Cheers
Bob
bgit

Postby Jedd Hughes » 31 Mar 2009 17:11

Great thanks for the advice Bob.

Regards

Jedd
It was this big
Jedd Hughes
Avon Barbel Moderators

Return to Baits