Sweet, fishy or savoury

Which boilie, pellet or meat would you recommend to others?

Sweet, fishy or savoury

Postby Jedd Hughes » 24 May 2009 10:01

Hi All

I am going to be using fishy based baits this summer but wondered if you would also recommend the sweeter type flavours or would you leave these for cooler months?

I want to keep my bait choices to the bare minimum for the coming campagin so really want just one for the summer and one for the winter.

Regards

Jedd
It was this big
Jedd Hughes
Avon Barbel Moderators

Re: Sweet, fishy or savoury

Postby bgit » 25 May 2009 20:55

If you are using fishy type baits then initially I would avoid any flavour at first and rely on the inherent smell.
I'd stick to adding an oil - both to make rolling easier and give some added attractiveness - salmon oil is a good bet, maybe blended with a vegetable based/seed/nut oil for winter or all year round. If using a fishy oil then halve the dose for winter.
Some fruit and sweet flavours added to most mixes (including fishmeals) can give good results eg Essential's Shellfish Plum and B5. Strawberry is generally good.
Be aware that all flavours are not the same - you may well find that although they have the same name they may well differ in effectiveness, base carrier and make up. Don't overload for long term use.
I prefer 'natural' derived attractors rather than 'flavours'- some of the water soluble ones can be extremely effective in enhancing the properties of a bait. By 'naturals' I mean stuff like GLM, spices (spanish RRR, robin red etc), yeast and others.
Sweeteners - nowt wrong with sugar but talin based ones are effective and in very small doses.
No reason why a fishmeal/seed combo cannot work all year round........leave it there for now.
Cheers
Bob
bgit

Re: Sweet, fishy or savoury

Postby Jedd Hughes » 25 May 2009 22:19

Great

Thanks for the help Bob

Jedd
It was this big
Jedd Hughes
Avon Barbel Moderators

Return to Baits