Time to switch

Which boilie, pellet or meat would you recommend to others?

Time to switch

Postby Jedd Hughes » 16 Oct 2009 21:04

Hi all

Starting to get cooler now, when do you switch (if you even do) from pellet to more traditional Autumn/winter baits such as in my case boilies and paste baits?

Regards

Jedd
It was this big
Jedd Hughes
Avon Barbel Moderators

Re: Time to switch

Postby mark walters » 16 Oct 2009 22:55

I tried fishing pellet and boilie side by side last winter and the pellet out scored the boilie easily ;)
mark walters

Postby johngp » 17 Oct 2009 09:10

Hi Jed I fished boilie and paste last year all through the winter and me mate Barry did to and we had the best winter yet so hopeing this year will be even better ..We had some bait made up to a good speck with a little help from a very good tackle suplier and bait guru and it made a huge difference for the pair of us and yes we aint telling no body what it is ..Even been using through the summer and its been doing the muts nuts for us on all rivers ..But as i always say jed its not bait its location m8 ..

Regards John
johngp

Postby NMD » 17 Oct 2009 09:11

I think you will find it depends on what has been fed in on a regular bases, also weather the fish were fed well the day before and still digesting it. What I have found smaller baits work better. Even maggots.
NMD

Postby Jedd Hughes » 17 Oct 2009 12:01

Hi Chaps

I have found a boilie and paste that I am confident with which I have and will stick to this season, but have had most fish so far on pellet.

I agree with John that location is key, but am I right in saying the barbel will move to Autum/Winter haunts because some of the fish I found early in the season are certainly not showing visually as they did?

Regards

Jedd
It was this big
Jedd Hughes
Avon Barbel Moderators

Postby mark walters » 17 Oct 2009 12:59

Dont forget that we dont really have cold winters now anyway so maybe bait chose isnt that important, i would deffinatly rate swim choice higher than bait choice come winter, the larger Barbel on the Wye deffinately move area's from November onwards, theres 1 particular stretch that doesnt produce anything of any note throughout the summer months but come the winter doulbes are caught regulary.
mark walters

Return to Baits