Making my own bait

Which boilie, pellet or meat would you recommend to others?

Making my own bait

Postby Jedd Hughes » 22 Dec 2009 18:44

Hi all

I have just bought one of my xmas presents which consists of a rolling table and bait sausage gun. I intend to start making my own boiles for next year as soon as my current stock of shelf bought have run out.

I am thinking of experimenting with John Baker baits and have got the original barbel base mix and meatball flavour which I have had for a while.

I know its a very personal choice but any hints or tips would be appricieted you can PM me if you prefer.

I had pretty good success in the summer months with just elipse pellet and will probabally still use these in the warmer months. I just think there would be an added satisfaction if I managed to catch a barb on something I had a hand in creating.

Regards

Jedd

PS Merry Xmas all
It was this big
Jedd Hughes
Avon Barbel Moderators

Re: Making my own bait

Postby bgit » 22 Dec 2009 20:28

Hi Jedd,
Vast subject and can be simple for success or as complicated as you make it!
JB baits - when I used to use it then (and I don't know whether some of these flavours are still available) these savoury flavours were good - ala salar, muskspice, barbel search 4 and meatball.
My bits of advice would be to keep flavour levels on the low side of that recommended and the addition of a suitable oil usually makes rolling easier.
Played with baits since the early eighties, but now don't really bother on making my own from individual ingredients, although still got loads in the freezer!
Also it can pay to be different and some fruity and confectionary type flavours can be effective.
Not much help in a paragraph but can be a big subject - also addictive and expensive.
Best regards and have a good one,
Bob
bgit

Postby Jedd Hughes » 23 Dec 2009 00:09

Hi Bob

Thanks for he advice, I will try a few mixes and flavors and let you know how I get on. I am quite looking forward to experimenting.

Jedd
It was this big
Jedd Hughes
Avon Barbel Moderators

Postby Jedd Hughes » 04 Feb 2010 21:37

Hi

I have had my past two barbel on my own bait, it may be a fluke but it has given me great confidence to stick with it.

It smells and looks great and I now have the mix right which makes a great paste and boilie and I think I may have converted my fishing buddy Phil to its as well.

I have proved to myself it works and with a little help from a certain bait guru which is much appreciated I am not going to change it.

Regards

Jedd
It was this big
Jedd Hughes
Avon Barbel Moderators

Return to Baits