Fishy Pellets...

Which boilie, pellet or meat would you recommend to others?

Fishy Pellets...

Postby Oxo » 19 May 2010 13:05

Hi Chaps,

Another Barbel newbie question - sorry

Have you noticed a significant difference in the effectiveness of different types of "fish based" pellets, all other things being equal (size etc)? I ask because my local feed supplier does some very competitive prices on Trout Pellets, but I'm torn between buying these and going for Halibuts or Elipses which are considerably more expensive. I won't be piling the things in, but I do get through quite a lot with the other species I fish for so economy is important.

I've never really noticed any difference when fishing for Carp, but maybe them there Barbel are a bit more fussy...

Cheers

Ox
Oxo

Re: Fishy Pellets...

Postby runhunt » 23 May 2010 10:25

hi oxo, personally i havent noticed a great difference if they are having it it doesnt matter, but others will tell you different, i spose its what you get used to and how confident you get or are. personally i go for anything that sinks!, although i have/do use different pellets at different times of the year, its just something you work out as time goes on, on on and on. favouring betaine, elips and halibuts from time to time and how you feed the swim, eg by pva bag, loose feed by hand, by feeder, by dropper,
i know this probably wont help you much, but all part of the learning prcocess, try a variety and get confient on one type and then experiment as time goes on.
regards paul
runhunt

Postby Oxo » 24 May 2010 22:46

Thanks for your reply Paul, much appreciated.

I think I'll go with the advice and get myself a sack of the old Trouties in 4mm/6mm and back it up with some small packs of Halibuts in various sizes. As you suggest, at least it'll give me some room for experimentation as I'm starting with virtually no previous experience with Barbel this season.

Cheers!

Paul (Ox)
Oxo

Postby mark walters » 28 May 2010 21:32

Havent bought any dynamite baits, bankside etc pellets for a few years now and i'm currently using 4mm Skrettings Royal Horizon pellets which cost me £26 for 25 kilos and havent noticed any difference in catch rates, another thing is if i buy a kilo bag of 14mm hookers from the tackle shop by the time i come to halfway through the bag they tend to splt when drilling from being open for so long, by buying the cheaper alternative i can by 1/4 kilo place them into a couple of pots with some added atractants and they last me for a good few months for only about 50p, put ANY pellet in the right place and it'l get eaten.
mark walters

Postby Portishead Red » 27 Jul 2010 21:31

I absolutely swear by Elips pellets from Preier Angling in Chippenham - my catch rate since changing from Dynamite has been amazing.

http://www.premierangling.co.uk
"Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are made for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration"
Portishead Red

Return to Baits