Flavours for meat?

Which boilie, pellet or meat would you recommend to others?

Flavours for meat?

Postby Rob Harrison » 09 Feb 2009 13:17

What do people reckon are the best flavours to add to meat on the Bristol Avon? I’ve bean told that garlic is quite good. The other day the franchise holder at the restaurant gave us a pep talk and admitted that we use the scrag end cut of meat but once it is minced up and with the clever use of onion, garlic and spices, you can dress anything up to taste good.

I have tried adding madras powder to a polythene bag and cutting up some luncheon meat, tipping it in and shaking it and I’ve caught a few barbel using that. I think that it might be a bit two powerful though. Although I was reading the other day that one bloke reckoned that barbel couldn’t smell, so is it a waste of time adding flavours anyway.
...of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy.
Rob Harrison
Site Admin

Re: Flavours for meat?

Postby Will from Notts » 09 Feb 2009 13:42

of cause barbel can smell but hey what do they know?

i use curry powders with most of my baits it has been one of the secrets to my sucessful catches so maybe you should stick with using madras.

try using different curry powders for a change.

one curry powder that is most sucessful is tandori masala best to cut up your meat place it in a freezer bag pop the curry powder in [ remember that you can never over do it ] bang it in the freezer when you want to use it take it out of the freezer to thaw out about 3 to 4 hrs before you go fishing hey presto flavoured meat.

dont forget when it thaws out the meat will suck in the flavours.

an even quicker way would be to shop around for flavoured meats.

also garlic meats are available at most supermarkets.

Will
Will from Notts

Re: Flavours for meat?

Postby Thomas_Covenant » 20 Mar 2009 20:41

Trefor West's sausage sizzle does the job for me, i freeze and thaw my bait at least three times before i use them to draw the flavour into it.

Garlic spam is a real winner as is the Black Pepper Spam, you can make your own if you prefer. I have in the past used garlick and mint flavouring on meat and it worked well.

I use a curry powder dusted meat as well just as something different, i mix a little cinnomen powder in with it (ala Trefor West style). I also use Campbells meat balls when casting is not a real issue, they work really well.

I prefer Spam to any other meat, it seems to be a better quality meat altogether.

I am not sure if the 'flavouring' is a real factor even though i spend far too much time messing around with different flavours, i think the method in which you fish with it is far more important. I find that the barbel react to it better if it is moving ie trundled through a swim.
Waiting for my next bite!

my blog
Thomas_Covenant

Return to Baits