Avon Roach

The roach is typically a small fish, often reaching no more than about 35 cm (14 inches) in length. A fish of 2¼lb would be considered a largish specimen but they can, sometimes, attain weights just in excess of 4lb.

Avon Roach

Postby chubgod » 17 Sep 2009 17:59

Im surprised all you Bristol Avon boys have not started a thread in this one, Dr Mark E. seems to catch a shed load of big roach from your river!!!! I found a couple of pics from a couple of years back 2lb 12oz and 2lb 4oz brace on sight fished sweet-corn, I then had a move to another venue later in the day to plunder a D. Stour whiskers of 11lb 4oz a good day indeedImage
chubgod

Re: Avon Roach

Postby simonb » 18 Sep 2009 11:50

Chubgod,
Those are fabulous fish. I have been trying to catch a BA 2lber or even just an outlandishly big fish for the waters I fish for a couple of winters now and I am just starting to get excited about the prospect of some wintery weather and a river with some water in it one day! So far I have had some great fish upto 1lb 6oz and I have located a few spots with potential to target this year. The areas where I have been successful have been to deep for me to float fish effectively so I mostly quiver tip with cage feeders using adapted Mark Everard style rigs. I have got Archie Braddock's feeder fishing book on order and have various plans to improve my bite to fish hooking ratio. Much as I love fishing for barbel there is nothing quite like a roach.

Best wishes

Simon.
simonb

Postby chubgod » 18 Sep 2009 14:45

2lb 10oz Stour Roach

I agree there is something special about a big roach. You have had your share in days gone by Martin?
My bite to hook up ratio has been honed on the chub on my local stretch, which are notoriously cagey biters Simon, I think a small bolt rig is the way to go, although it is not my style, trotting tactics on the right day are the most effective of all in my opinion.

regards Iain
chubgod

Postby simonb » 18 Sep 2009 21:57

My initial reaction is to avoid bolt rigs as being a bit crude and not very 'sporting' - which is probably ridiculous as ultimately it's all just fishing tackle. My basic rig last year was to fish the feeder running in a loop on a long stiff link with an 18" to 2 foot hooklength. This seems to work quite well with bread flake as bait but when it got very cold around New Year I fished maggots with mixed results. One evening where the line was freezing to rod the fish were virtually pulling the rod in the next day I must have missed 25 bites and hit 2. I might give the bolt rig a go or shorten the run in the loop to create a bolt effect - I guess I would have to shorten the feeder link as well - but then I might spook the larger fish that I believe like to hang back from the feeder itself. Any helpful thoughts would be gratefully received.

Cheers,
Simon
simonb

Postby chubgod » 19 Sep 2009 09:07

Needs must when the Devil drives Simon, It all depends on how much you really want to catch them. I was fortunate to be able to sight fish for my big roach at very close range so it was made easier. But if I was after those fish you have found, I would use short hook-lengths and inline feeders, these work on the H. Avon so I am in no doubt they would work on the BA. A very good friend of mine had a three from a very high and colored
H Avon fishing the main flow with a 5oz break away sea lead :shock: now that is crude but he got his fish. (not my idea of a good time Though)
chubgod

Postby simonb » 20 Sep 2009 20:34

I will give that a try Chubgod. Just received the Archie Braddock book and although times have obviously moved on the section on upstreaming seems to have some relevance today. I have been working at changing the way I position myself relative to the lead and have been building my confidence with upstream work. The last 2 barbel/chub trips resulted in a 50/50 split for upstream and downstream bites hit. His explanation of how it works is very illuminating and I think that I might try to develop my proficiency with this and try the inline feeders when the weather gets really cold and it is time to switch over to maggots. If I can make the time this winter I have several areas of the BA to explore and hopefully I will keep learning.

Regard,

Simon.
simonb

Still water roach

Postby RICH PARSONS » 25 Feb 2010 20:20

Hi all,
I want to target big still water roach and I'm thinking of Tockenham as it's local and I know there are big fish there.
My plan is to fish scaled down car gear and baits on the bottom.
I have been looking on carp sites to see if any of the carp boys have had problems with larger than average roach but apart from odd mention I can't find any thing to give me any real pointers.
I know there is also bream in there and wondered how big they get.
If any one can help me it would be most appreciated.

Rich
Ya know what I mean?
RICH PARSONS

Postby runhunt » 25 Feb 2010 20:38

hi rich,
havent fished tockenham for while, but i fished late march there once (as it closed April to June then, not sure now, but anyway,) fished the right arm, round behind the point in the sheltered reeded bay and had 1 bite, a roach of 2lb 40z, so there are some good fish to be had there, mine was pure luck, and if you can fish it before the tench and carp start to wake up on mini boilies or mashed bread in cage feeder, you may be lucky too.
hope this helps
paul
runhunt

Postby RICH PARSONS » 25 Feb 2010 21:21

Cheers Paul,
I just checked on the club site and it's now open all year round.
The carp and the tench will be accounted for as going to use barbel rods and pretty strong mono just in case.
Finding the balance between strength for the mud suckers and not over killing it for the roach may be a problem.
I did think of float fishing but I think I'll just get battered but much small fish a lot more.
Again thanks for your advice mate.

Rich
Ya know what I mean?
RICH PARSONS

Postby runhunt » 01 Aug 2010 18:42

hi all, if anyone wants to have a good roach this winter, there are a couple of lakes that have just opened to day ticket in tytherington, Marston House nr Frome, that hold some very large roach and maybe worth going for if you want a 2.5lb plus fish!, its going to be £6.00 a day, but can get more details and directions if anyone wants them. regards paul
runhunt

Next

Return to Roach