Stillwater Chub

The Chub can be found in most of the UK's rivers and more recently in stillwaters where it is being stocked. It is a predatory fish and tends to live together in shoals, larger specimens tending to become solitary.

Stillwater Chub

Postby CabbagePatchKid » 06 Feb 2009 17:18

Interesting topic this. While the chub epitomises a river fish to most of us, they do in fact thrive in stillwaters around the country - not just recently, either. Celebrated angler (and former carp record holder) Richard Walker wrote of two chub that inhabited Redmire Pool in the 1950's. Apparently they always swam together and one dwarfed the other - he caught the "little" one and it weighed five pounds!
Chub are a very shy fish - especially when they get big (Issac Walton referred to them as "the fearfullest of fishes...") but stillwater Chub are something else - probably the most difficult fish to catch by design in our waters. They can get very big indeed, and their eating habits may become extermely carnivorous - I remember in the 1970's a group of anglers set-out to catch some huge stillwater chub (I forget where) and had amazing success with several fish well over the magical seven pound mark - all on legered long-range deadbaits! The lakes I used to fish for carp held a few enormous chub. I had a few over 5 lbs including a whopper of 6lbs 10ozs, although these were caught at night mostly whilst fishing for carp. Largest ever taken there was 8lbs 8ozs which would have shaken the national record then. So if anyone fancies the idea of fishing long hours with little action for potentially the fish of a lifetime, find a lake known to hold these enigmatic fish, say goobye to the wife and kids, pack a year's provisions and disappear - perhaps never to be seen again. :lol:
CabbagePatchKid
Avon Barbel Moderators

Re: Stillwater Chub

Postby PhilM » 06 Feb 2009 17:47

newton park on the bathampton aa ticket has chub to over 6lbs in there, not a great head but they are caught occasionally by the carpers, i can't think of another stillwater locally that holds them..
PhilM

Postby CabbagePatchKid » 06 Feb 2009 18:17

PhilM wrote:newton park on the bathampton aa ticket has chub to over 6lbs in there, not a great head but they are caught occasionally by the carpers, i can't think of another stillwater locally that holds them..

Yes, I've heard that too. Perhaps more waters than we think may have a few, at least the stream-fed ones. As virtually no-one fishes for them, who knows?

Here's a (not very good) pic of my 6-10 stillwater chub (the chub's the good-looking one.....):

CabbagePatchKid
Avon Barbel Moderators

Postby PhilM » 09 Feb 2009 01:06

nice fish cpk...
nowhere near as big but my lad caught this one at clattercote ressie, i don't know the head of chub in there but they're there..
PhilM

Return to Chub