River Chub

The Chub can be found in most of the UK's rivers and more recently in stillwaters where it is being stocked. It is a predatory fish and tends to live together in shoals, larger specimens tending to become solitary.

Re: River Chub

Postby runhunt » 09 Mar 2011 19:21

hi nige, i dont blame you, theres some nice fish on the nadder, not too far from you. also the lakes around you look good too, thats wardour and a couple of others isnt it?
also am told a few barbel in the nadder that may be worth going for, but not too big i understand?
paul
runhunt

Postby CabbagePatchKid » 05 Jul 2011 08:00

Lovely fish there Nige.

I still think of any Chub over 5lb as being a monster though ;)

will you still join the BA next year as well?
CabbagePatchKid
Avon Barbel Moderators

Postby runhunt » 07 Jul 2011 18:46

nice fish nigel
question.. is there anywhere you are not fishing this season??? :D :D
paul
runhunt

Postby Davey_Pants » 17 Jul 2011 18:52

Hi folks
I'm a newbie who joined to pick some barbel brains as I am after one this season:)
Couldn't resist this thread tho. Chub, my favourite course fish (so far - only been a course fisherman since June 16th having previously been a sea angler and then a trout fisherman in my school days). Been out twice to some free stretches in Keynsham and bagged a netful of chub but none that broke the 3lb mark just yet. Ain't complaining though - yesterday's biggest fish is the only time in my life where I've had to jump into the river and use the drag to play the fish into the net, even on 8lb tackle - amazing fighter who was racing and diving under every patch of weed along the whole Avon it seemed!!! The weather was torrential anyway, so jumping in up to my knees didn't bother me much:)
It was taken on luncheonmeat - well, I'd heard there were barbel on the free stretch below Chippenham weir!)
Sorry for the photo - some of the earlier rain got into my camera.
Want, nay, NEED, to break the 3lb barrier soon, and then after one of the magical 5s that you've all caught above. Though judging by the amount of my hemp groundbait that was down the throat of all the chub I landed, the Chippenham chub will be big and fat very soon:)
One bite earlier on did take my rod over the rest and into the river and I was just able to grab the butt before I lost it completely, but the hook knot gave:(
I wonder what that was.....
Davey_Pants

Postby CabbagePatchKid » 17 Jul 2011 19:02

Davey_Pants wrote:.........One bite earlier on did take my rod over the rest and into the river and I was just able to grab the butt before I lost it completely, but the hook knot gave:(
I wonder what that was.....

Firstly, welcome to the Forum.

Very likely that was a Barbel responsible, most of us have had their rod taken off the rest some time or another ;)
CabbagePatchKid
Avon Barbel Moderators

Postby Davey_Pants » 17 Jul 2011 19:24

Cheers CBK. I kinda hoped it may have been a barbel, but I expected there to be a few little trembles on the rod first - at least according to Matt Hayes:)
Whatever it was, never buying hooks on snoods on ebay again!
Davey_Pants

Postby Davey_Pants » 24 Jul 2011 08:56

Wow that´s a beauty Nigel! Well done on the PB too
Davey_Pants

Postby Gadgetman » 24 Jul 2011 10:51

Nice one Nigel :) and congratulations on your near 7lb Pb chub ......... That hat has certainly done you a few favours lately :roll:
Regards Pete
"When you leave the river, leave nothing, only footprints...!!!"
Gadgetman

Postby runhunt » 24 Jul 2011 14:49

way to go nigel top chubbing!! cracking fish, wel done to you.
paul
runhunt

Postby Barbel123 » 24 Jul 2011 18:08

Well done Nigel, that is one MASSIVE chub :!:
Cheers
James
Barbel123

PreviousNext

Return to Chub