Chasing the laddies.....

Re: Chasing the laddies.....

Postby shippo11 » 21 Mar 2010 18:37

I had my first greyling session this year with 6 fish to 1.5 plus 7 trout float fishing with maggot's. Great fun and suprisingly hard fighting. Also had the same info about arrowing the fish back it head first a bit like some sea anglers do seems to work for some reason.
shippo11

Postby Gadgetman » 22 Mar 2010 00:55

Hi All

I've never caught a grayling and was wondering if there are any in the BA in the upper reaches, above Malmesbury. I did spot a shoal once on the upper Kennet, alongside a small industrial complex, but unfortunately, no time to stop and stare as I was working, suited up, and late for an appointment :x
I'm told they have a distinctive smell of some sort of herb or other as well. :!:
Maybe a target species for next winter, eh :?:

Cheers and regards Pete
"When you leave the river, leave nothing, only footprints...!!!"
Gadgetman

Postby paulmatty » 22 Mar 2010 16:12

They smell like Cucumber or Thyme, hence the latin name Thymallus Thymallus.
I believe that they are present in the Upper Avon Catchment and in the Midford Brook area !?
Grayling are probably my 3rd favourite species behind Barbel and Dace. They fight hard and are obliging no matter how severe the conditions ! I prefer to trot for them, but I know that the feeder can produce a better stamp of fish !
Many places over-charge for the pleasure of fishing for them, but with a little research, you can find free stretches and cheap day ticket waters.
Well worth the effort when the cold weather arrives and far better than sitting behind motionless Barbel rods in far from ideal conditions !
Although a 3lber is an ambition of mine (a possiblity on a couple of rivers I know) ANY Grayling from The Bristol Avon or Marden would be just as welcome !
Paul M.
paulmatty

Return to Trout, Salmon, Grayling...