The Centre Pin Reel

Why not create your own article here...
Forum rules
Any fishing related articles that you feel would be of interest to other posters please feel free to add here.
(Articles will be left "open to comment", unless it is requested to be locked)

Re: The Centre Pin Reel

Postby mandingo » 02 May 2011 17:46

Picked up a thread on another site, re the marco cortesi centrepin...
Got 2 of em delivered for 70 quid, from dragon carp.....
Cant fault them to be fair (although im not a true purist ...yet!)

Bargain :D :D :D :D :D

ATB Andy
Just one last cast!
mandingo

Postby Barbel123 » 02 May 2011 19:21

At that price I might give one a go just to see what all the fuss is about :lol:
I love the idea/romance of them, just not so sure about the practicality of them.
Cheers
James
Barbel123

Postby mandingo » 02 May 2011 23:03

James, that was exactly my thoughts, and although both mine were duly loaded with line, I still haven't plucked up the courage to use them in anger yet... :oops: :oops:
Think I might try and sneak out a few small carp somewhere quiet in the close season, just for a bit of practice.. :? :? 8-)

They are cracking reels for the money tho...

ATB Andy
Just one last cast!
mandingo

Postby CabbagePatchKid » 04 Jul 2011 17:07

Picking up on this old thread, I did get to use the centrepin on sunday :D

Although I've loved to use the pin in the past for float fishing, stalking carp, even Pike deabaiting and get on fine, it's a totally different game to be able to cast a light leger with some accuracy straight from the reel.

I too have wimped-out of risking a new swim with my probable futile attempts at Wallace-casting, and plumped for the fixed spool reel :oops:

Anyhow, with a decent fish under my belt I decided to give it a go for the last hour.
After a bit of (noisy) practice I was able to make a half reasonable cast, although not right across the other side of the river yet!

What I did find though, and seemingly the key to it, is not to try to cast too far.
I just concentrated on getting the technique of synching the line coming - off the reel and the swing correctly. I'm sure that when this is mastered, distance will come naturally (I hope!).

No, I didn't catch anything on the 'pin, but I did see enough "light at the end of the tunnel" to encourage me to persevere - I know it'll be worth it when I eventually get a Barbel on the end ;)
CabbagePatchKid
Avon Barbel Moderators

Previous

Return to Articles