The Centre Pin Reel

Why not create your own article here...
Forum rules
Any fishing related articles that you feel would be of interest to other posters please feel free to add here.
(Articles will be left "open to comment", unless it is requested to be locked)

The Centre Pin Reel

Postby CabbagePatchKid » 15 Feb 2009 15:10

Do we have any Centre-Pin devotees out there? I hope so.
Avonbarbel has asked me to put a piece together on the subject, so here goes...

The centre pin reel as we know it today was born in the mid 1800s in the suburbs of Nottingham. Small manufacturers supplied the requirements of the local River Trent anglers who wanted a lightweight free-running reel. These simple wooden reels, known as Nottingham reels promoted a method of fishing - the Nottingham style. They rapidly gained popularity and by the 1890's were being mass-produced by large companies such as Reuben Heaton, Smith & Wall, Allcocks and David Slater- indeed the Slater reels were amongst the finest made, very expensive at the time, and very collectable today.

The primitive early reels evolved considerably until their decline in the 1950's and there are some wonderful creations still around for the collector - constructed from amazing combinations of Walnut, Mahogany, brass, ebonite (a bakelite-type material) and alloys. Some of these reels are real works of art.

Around the end of the Victorian era saw the introduction of Aluminium alloys in reel manufacture and indeed metal reels would eventually all but replace the wooden ones. There are a bewildering number of manufacturers and models of alloy centre-pins during the last century. Again some are superb and eagerly sought by collectors - none more so than the famous Aerial Reel.

This reel was designed by Henry Coxon for the old-established tackle company of Allcocks, who marketed the reel for around 70 years! Of a spoked open face design, the Coxon Aerial was originally made with an ebonite drum and wooden back with brass fittings - similar to the popular Nottingham reels of the day, but in use its lightness was a revelation and many still rate the earliest Coxons as the best centre pins ever. The Aerial evolved over the years with literally dozens of models and variants. The best ones are the pre-war (1940) reels - these truly represent the high-water mark of the reelmakers' art and are as usable now as the day they were made.

There were many other fine reels made by other companies - among them Hardys, Allcocks, and the largest of the lot, J.W.Young and Sons. Jim Young was head reelmaker at Allcocks in the late 1880's and helped in the design of the Coxon Aerial. It seems he left to set-up his company to manufacture the Aerial for Allcocks in the mid 1890's. Youngs manufactured fishing reels for many of the big names such as Allcocks, Milwards, Fosters, Farlow, Sealey and latterly Shakespeare. They exported their reels, bearing other companies' names, all over the world. After the Second World War Youngs introduced a range of reels bearing their own name. All were of modern design and dominated the quality reel market for decades. In this range of reels we find famous names such as the Rapidex and Trudex centre-pins and the Ambidex fixed spool reel.

Youngs have continued in production with their modern range of reels (until comparatively recently still made in the UK, now owned by Masterline) and today still offer some of the finest Centre-Pin reels available - most still built around the Allcock Aerial principle. Of these the Ray Walton "Rolling Pin" will be of most interest to our members - it's a magnificent centre pin, conceived for Barbel fishing, which swivels to enable those mortals amongst us to be able to cast straight from the reel!

Incidentally, Garry Mills, a really nice guy, who was reelmaker with the now-defunct J.W.Young factory now markets his own hand made Aerial-style reel, made to the specifications of the Barbel Catchers Club. It's a beauty!

Well, that had better do for now - I hope one or two of you are still awake! But I urge all to try a centre pin - although in all honesty not easy to use, the rewards in playing a fish on a 'pin just have to be experienced.

The Pics below show an original Coxon Aerial of 1896 and a current Youngs Purist CL of about a century later - you can see the family resemblance. Now that's a production run!

CabbagePatchKid
Avon Barbel Moderators

Re: The Centre Pin Reel

Postby Thomas_Covenant » 16 Apr 2009 20:57

Some very good history there chap, the Coxon Aerial really i sosmething else. I always dream of stumbling across one in a carboot fair ;)

I owe several pins including a Walton.

I cannot get the hang of the Wallis cast so i usually use my Walton, i hate trying to put a bait somewhere only for me to mess the cast up and disturb the swim so i opt for the easier option of the Walton. I have had the reel a couple of seasons now and i have not suffered any line twist.............. maybe i am lucky in that respect.

There are some wonderful 'pins out there, and when you find the right one for you, you will find a way of using it for every type of fishing that you do!
Waiting for my next bite!

my blog
Thomas_Covenant

Postby CabbagePatchKid » 19 Apr 2009 03:22

Hi ididcatchonce,
Yes, you are dead right about the Walton reel being simply a sidecaster. Malloch of Perth popularised this type of reel from the early 1890's and the Australian firm Alvey still produce them - I suspect maybe yours was an Alvey?
The Richard Carter pins are superb and as you say would cost a small fortune to replace today - if you could find one.
I love to use a centre pin, and use a Rapidex or Avon Royal Supreme for float fishing, but I must confess to needing plenty of weight and room to cast from the reel - I just don't have the knack of being able to flick a light leger straight from the reel . For that reason I'm afraid I take the lazy way out and use fixed spool reels on the BA :oops: I don't get a lot of spare time these days, but when I do, I'm determined to fully master the Wallis cast (just like Mr Crabtree - he made it look easy lol). I'll take you up on your offer of casting tuition if I see you though, thanks!
Below is a picture of another super vintage Centre-pin. It's an original Flick 'em reel, produced during the 1930's for WF Homer of Forest Gate, London by the famous reel makers Reuben Heaton. This reel was subsequently marketed by Allcocks (the design altered and made for them by JW Young - evolving into its final incarnation, the famous Rapidex, under Youngs' own name.
CabbagePatchKid
Avon Barbel Moderators

Postby Thomas_Covenant » 19 Apr 2009 08:25

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0299879608

Have a look at the above reel.................. if i had the money!

I have a Rapidex in my garage, or at least it looks like a Rapidex but it has a Flickem badge on the back of it :?

my blog
Thomas_Covenant

Postby Thomas_Covenant » 19 Apr 2009 13:27

Hi All, it has been sitting in the garage as the bloody thing doesnt turn properly :cry:

I bought it about a year ago, it had been 'refurbed' as the expert who sold it to me stated and needed to be used to bed in. To cut a very long and boring story short i have taken it apart and freed up the stuck tensioner and have good reasons to believe that the new 'pin' is not correct. It will not turn freely without the centre screw being turned out as far as it will go but then the spool knocks. That is why it sits in the garage!

I have since recieved an Okuma Aventa Pro, in my opinion for the money is by far the best centre pin out there, i also have a Fred Crouch Jet Arieal and off course my Walton. All of these reels get used very regularly.

my blog
Thomas_Covenant

Postby CabbagePatchKid » 20 Apr 2009 01:26

Thomas, you are right about your reel - JW Young made the Flick 'em for Allcocks, the later ones are just re-badged Rapidexes.
CabbagePatchKid
Avon Barbel Moderators

Postby MickB » 15 Aug 2010 20:22

Hello All,
I've just joined your happy band and I am also a very keen 'pinfisher'.

My favourite 'pin is my Richard Carter Gem which is considered by many to be the finest centrepin.
It is a lovely reel to use on a river or lake and providing I make the swing smooth enough it can be Wallis cast with ease.
I also have a Garry Mills FT Trotter which I only use for trotting for the winter Grayling............ when the game stretches open for us bait fishers.

Sometime in the future I hope I will manage to get my hands on a Garry Mills Barbel Catcher so if anyone has one they want to part with........ drop me a pm now or in the furure.

Tight lines to all,
Cheerz, MickB
MickB

Postby CabbagePatchKid » 05 Sep 2010 09:47

The best centre-pins are lovely things to own in their own right, but to be honest in use the cheap ones often do the job well enough.
You can pick up a used but good Speedia or Avon Royal Supreme for around 40 quid that would put many fish on the bank ( and you could sell it again in 10 years time for more than you paid for it!)
CabbagePatchKid
Avon Barbel Moderators

Postby richp » 02 May 2011 08:21

At current prices the Aventa Pro and Fred Crouch Jet are not a million miles apart. I'm about to buy a centrepin and am looking at these two, or the Greys Bewick. I merely want a ratchet, but no line guard. What do you think?
Cheers, Rich
richp

Postby shippo11+1 » 02 May 2011 11:33

Marco Cortesi Centrepin good ratchet smooth running and £36 delivered they take some beating and if you want to leger for barbel its head and shoulders above the Aventa which has a poor ratchet.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Marco-Cortesi-Sig ... 2eb4e4ea8d
shippo11+1

Next

Return to Articles